A New Year

22 Jan

As New Year’s came and went the wildlife center was oddly calm. The days were passing by and no new animals were brought into us. While this is a good thing, we at the center know that all too soon that can change. And it did!

On Monday, January 9 a red-phased Eastern Screech Owl was brought in. It had been hit by a car the previous night in Belding, MI. Just from a quick glance we could tell that something was wrong with its right wing. Upon giving an examination, we found that its right humorous was fractured. We immediately called the vet and took the little critter out for x-rays and to see if Dr. Vincent could fix the wing. The humorous was indeed fractured and would be operated on the next morning, but even with the surgery it looked as if the screech would never be able to have full flight. That meant we would get to keep the little guy. While it is sad that we wouldn’t be able to release the screech, we were excited because we had always wanted a red-phased screech to become roommates with our resident grey-phased screech. The next morning the screech made it successfully through surgery, but later in the day died. Unfortunately no matter how much you care for an animal or how well they seem to be doing at the time things like this happen.

Later in the afternoon, we got another Eastern Screech Owl in. This one had been dropped off at a vet’s office in Lowell who then brought it to us. We don’t know what exactly happened to the owl, but it was clear that he had head trauma either from getting hit by a car or possibly flying into a window. Whoever had him had tried to feed him dog food. It was caked all along his beak, covering his nostrils making it hard for him to breath. It is important that if you ever find an injured animal, please DO NOT feed them unless otherwise instructed by an animal care specialist. Sometimes feeding an animal too soon after it has been injured can lead to death! Since the screech was not eating on its own, wildlife staff and volunteers had to force feed it the appropriate amount of food. The screech is now perching, eating on its own, and sleeping the days away. We will keep you updated on his status.

On Thursday, January 12 a male Barred Owl came in after being hit by a truck in Ada. The poor guy had gotten caught in the truck’s visor and had to be pushed out with a hammer handle. He had scratches on his beak and feet and blood in his nose. After an exam, we didn’t find anything else wrong with him. He was lucky! On 1/18/12, Wildlife Staff successfully released the Barred Owl back into the are in which he was found! You can watch his return by following this link to our Youtube account. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zSf80BycFY&feature=youtu.be




4 Responses to “A New Year”

  1. Sue Thomson January 23, 2012 at 10:03 am #

    Thanks Sam…we really enjoyed reading the blog and the pictures are great.

  2. Staci Sanford-Dever January 23, 2012 at 4:53 pm #

    Wondering how Kusha, the snapping turtle is doing!

    • bncwildliferehab January 26, 2012 at 10:48 am #

      He is doing just fine. He was passing stones that he must have ingested, but that looks to be clearing up now.

      • Staci Sanford-Dever January 27, 2012 at 3:11 pm #

        That doesn’t sound fun! Blow him a kiss from his family!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: